EMpower is Hiring! Vice President, Organizational Development and Global Operations
Posted 28 November 2018 in EMpower News | Share
EMpower, a global philanthropic organization, is dedicated to improving the lives and horizons of marginalized young people ages 10-24 in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia and Turkey. Through grants and other supports, EMpower partners with over 100 local organizations working to strengthen the education and livelihoods of young people, and to build their resilience, self-confidence and well-being.
EMpower has offices in Hong Kong, India (Delhi), Singapore, London and New York, as well as program staff in Istanbul. We seek an experienced leader to partner with the President and serve as a key member of the senior leadership team. S/he will provide strategic guidance and oversee Organizational Development, Talent Management, Operations and Finance. This new position offers an exceptional opportunity to help shape EMpower’s next phase of growth. The VP can be in either EMpower’s London or New York locations. This position will report to the President, will supervise the Finance and Operations team (three people) in New York, with matrix management of operations staff in Delhi, Hong Kong and London (three people).
- Serve as key point person for 2019 strategic planning and subsequent benchmarking against goals
- Oversee the annual work planning and budgeting processes, towards milestones in the strategic plan. Take lead role in presenting plans and budgets to Boards of Directors.
Organizational Development and Talent Management
- Assess, recommend improvements and oversee human resources and operations systems, policies and processes - identifying and leading implementation on how to make these more efficient, effective or standardized – as well as to ensure they help EMpower recruit and retain strong staff
- Oversee and suggest improvements to key talent management processes (performance management, salary review and benchmarking)
- Identify opportunities and implement or oversee actions to improve internal communications, organizational development and staff development
- Oversee this function and supervise the Operations Manager. Provide guidance on operations matters and troubleshooting to the Development Managers, and matrix-manage operations staff in Hong Kong, London and Delhi
- Ensure compliance of all operations with regulatory agencies’ statutory requirements in geographies where we are incorporated
- Assess periodically EMpower’s contracts and service providers (IT consultants, insurance brokers, credit cards etc.) on effectiveness, client service and best value for money. Renegotiate terms or locate new providers if required
- Oversee any office relocations if required, including scoping options and negotiating leases
- Oversee global financial structure and needs
- Oversee the Controller and his functions as lead manager of audits, financial reporting, bookkeeping and budgeting
- Assess current risks and identify potential risks to the organization as well as mitigation strategies (including effectiveness of those used in the past)
- 10+ years’ experience developing and managing teams, with progressive growth in responsibility for organizational development, human resources and/or operations in a non-profit or firm with international scope and multiple overseas locations
- Strong team leader with a coaching style to bring out staff’s best performance, while ensuring accountabilities
- Skilled in talent management and human resources with demonstrated experience in establishing or improving policies and processes to attract, retain, and professionally develop staff, adhering to legal requirements and best practices
- Experience in strategic planning, and as a lead or key actor in effective annual planning and budgeting processes
- Financial acumen, business, management and forecasting skills – ability to link strategic and operational goals to fiscal realities and program priorities
- As a senior leader, ‘walks the walk” – demonstrates and models key EMpower values – transparency, fairness, responsiveness, life balance, friendliness
- Ability to deal with complexity and ambiguity, and suggest and implement solutions to streamline or un-complicate
- Clear communicator – able to confidently express her/himself with boards of directors and staff
- Strategic, systems thinker – ability to think about long-term implications and precedent, maintaining perspective in the midst of day-to-day demands
EMpower is a 501 (c) (3) public foundation that makes grants globally to benefit at-risk youth, including adolescent girls. We are committed to attracting, developing, motivating and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
Please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to email@example.com, and put “Vice President, Organizational Development and Global Operations” in the subject line. We will only be able to acknowledge and respond to candidates identified as most suitable.
View All News