We are looking for an Argentina Programme Officer Consultant!
Posted 10 November 2022 in EMpower News, Careers | Share
Terms of Reference
Purpose of Consultancy
EMpower seeks the support of a consultant to:
- Support the implementation of our grant-making strategy in Argentina.
- Support the implementation of our capacity strengthening work in Argentina, which includes developing and facilitating learning opportunities among grantee partners.
- Act as main point of contact for current and prospective grantee partners, in coordination with Senior Programme Officer for Latin America.
- Represent EMpower and liaise with local donors as appropriate.
EMpower–The Emerging Markets Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of marginalised young people (10-24), especially adolescent girls, in 15 emerging market counties in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Turkey. As a unique global philanthropy, EMpower partners with nearly 100 local organisations, providing them with grants, technical assistance, youth development expertise, and learning opportunities. Through programmes in education, livelihoods, and health and well-being, we empower young people and strengthen their resilience and self-confidence. EMpower has offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Delhi (India), as well as programme staff in Mexico, South Africa, Nigeria, Mumbai, and Istanbul. To learn more about EMpower, please check out: www.empowerweb.org.
In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Senior Programme Officer for Latin America, the consultant will be responsible for:
Direct management of grants (55%)
- Identify and vet organisations in Argentina that meet EMpower’s grant-making priorities and criteria.
- Review, screen, and make recommendations on incoming letters of inquiry and grant proposals. Conduct due diligence process and negotiate proposals and budgets with prospective and current grantee partners, involving local donors as appropriate.
- Prepare written grant summaries and present recommendations to grants committees (up to 3 times a year).
- Monitor grants through review of reports, meetings, site visits and correspondence. Review and prepare analyses of grantee partners’ final reports; providing feedback to grantee partners and incorporating highlights into EMpower materials.
- Provide inputs to forthcoming country strategy in Argentina.
- Source grantees through desk research and field visits as needed.
- Network with other organisations to explore collaborative grant-making opportunities and share useful information.
Learning, Convening and Knowledge sharing (30%)
- Assist in planning opportunities for facilitating capacity building while taking a lead in identifying and organising such opportunities in Argentina.
- Draft reports (or key sections) for programmatic grants to EMpower, and occasional proposals as they relate to EMpower’s grant-making in Argentina.
- Provide content for e-communications, annual reports, and other materials as they relate to the Argentina portfolio.
- Liaise with local donors as needed.
- Contribute to planning, fundraising, and marketing processes as required.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Start date: 1st December 2022
End date: 30th April 2024. Contract renewable subject to successful delivery and availability of funding.
The work effort required would be 80% full-time equivalent.
University degree in a field related to youth development, such as international development, public policy or administration, psychology, social anthropology, or gender studies is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in working in a grant-making organisation and/or within youth development organisations + strong livelihoods development component, are strongly preferred.
Experience in thinking creatively and strategically about how to direct limited resources to leverage change for young people and their communities.
Skills and knowledge:
- Since the main focus of this consultancy is to help develop livelihood opportunities for young people in Argentina, the successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of related approaches to livelihoods/economic well-being and youth development.
- Strong understanding of gender equitable/girl-centred programming.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish is essential.
- Highly organised, with skills and experience in programme management or grants administration.
- Ability to work with and analyse budgets and quantitative information in Excel spreadsheets or in databases.
- Critical analytical capacities; interest and ability to see and report on trends and results, and to compile lessons learned.
- Flexible with the ability to juggle tasks and shift priorities as required. Strong initiative and ability to anticipate, prioritise, complete multiple projects, and meet deadlines, with consistent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and written communications skills, demonstrating cultural sensitivity/awareness.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of judgment and professionalism, as well as virtually with a team across multiple time zones; a sense of humour and perspective.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; alignment with EMpower’s values.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications, including databases. Comfortable with learning new database technology; experience using Salesforce a plus.
- Ability to travel in Latin America and to the U.K / U.S if / when needed.
EMpower is unable to consider candidates who do not already hold the legal right to live and work in Argentina.
Place of assignment
Required only in exceptional circumstances. Travel will be funded separately.
Remuneration in line with experience.
Closing date for submissions
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com, latest by 17th November 2022. Please include the reference “Argentina Consultant 2022” in the subject line of your email.
The consultant will be line-managed by the Senior Programme Officer for Latin America. Other key relationships include the Vice President for Programmes; the Director for Adolescent Girls and Gender; the Programme Officer, Mexico, and members of EMpower’s Programme Team.
Equal Opportunity Employer
EMpower is a global funder that makes grants globally to benefit marginalised young people, especially adolescent girls and young women. We strive to attract, develop, motivate and retain exceptional talent. We are committed to a team-work environment that recognises contribution, fosters respect, facilitates strong performance, and prizes inclusion. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognising that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
View All News