Do you want to join an international team doing amazing work empowering young people? We’re looking for a Global Communications Specialist to join us and help us tell the stories of impact we and our partners are having around the world.
Are you a talented communications professional with keen project management skills and writing and digital savvy?
We need a communications generalist with digital marketing skills. An excellent writer, who can help us tell uplifting stories and craft effective messages. Someone who’s a creative doer, who is organised and pays close attention to detail. If you’re looking for a positive, supportive, and constantly learning culture where you can work hard and feel good about improving the lives of young people, we want to hear from you!
EMpower is dedicated to improving the lives of marginalised young people, especially adolescent girls, ages 10-24, in emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, and in Russia and Turkey. As a unique global philanthropy, we partner with over 100 local organisations in 15 countries, providing financial grants, capacity building, and co-learning opportunities. By supporting best-in-class programmes in inclusive learning, economic well-being, and safe and healthy lives, we help young people strengthen their skills, resilience, and self-confidence. EMpower has offices in New York, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Delhi, as well as programme staff and consultants in Istanbul, Cape Town, and Mexico City. To learn more about EMpower, please check out www.empowerweb.org.
The Global Communications Specialist reports to the Strategic Communications and Marketing Lead. Here’s what you’ll do:
· Assist in developing and implementing the organisation’s annual Global Marketing and Communications plan
· Update the website regularly and manage communications with our web vendor
· Project manage new communications products (everything from short reports to thank-you cards), ensuring colleagues meet deadlines and handling: writing/editing and basic graphic design or art direction, as needed
· Create/edit content for Communications and Development campaigns, across various platforms (on key issues and international days such as Day of the Girl)
· Help manage EMpower’s external email communications with board, underwriters, donors, and wider community
· Oversee the organisation’s editorial calendar
· Translate technical and programmatic language into compelling copy for various platforms, editing and proofreading copy written by colleagues
· Ensure external communications products have appropriate EMpower branding
· Build EMpower’s story bank, identifying and curating stories to convey EMpower’s impact
· Handle email marketing efforts: managing lists and integrating the mass email platform with the customer management platform
· Other communications administrative tasks, as needed
We’re looking for someone with:
· A B.A. in English, journalism, marketing, or communications, or equivalent training
· 3–5 years of experience in communications, marketing, and storytelling
· Excellent writing ability and proofreading skills; the demonstrated capacity to understand and analyse complex content, and create audience-appropriate messaging
· Strong organisational and project management skills; proven experience in executing projects from start to completion
· The ability to effectively collaborate with other team members to see projects through and deliver high-quality products on deadline
· Proficiency with MailChimp and/or other email platforms and some knowledge of best practices in email and social media marketing
· Experience with website content management systems
· Aptitude with graphic design and art direction; experience with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop preferred
· Familiarity with databases (Salesforce preferred)
· A passion and commitment to our work and mission
· Nonprofit experience preferred, but not required
· Spanish language skills a plus
Location: NY is preferred, but we are open to other locations (especially on Eastern time zone)
Salary range: $50,000–$60,000, based on experience
Benefits: EMpower offers a generous benefit package, including:
· Health, dental and vision insurance fully covered by EMpower
· Generous pension match and contribution after 1 year of employment
· EMpower sponsored Life and Disability insurance after 1 year of employment
· Generous PTO and sick leave schedule
· FSA and TransitChek
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and your CV to HR@empowerweb.org, putting Global Communications Specialist in the subject line.
Due to the high number of applications, we will only be able to respond to successful applicants.
EMpower is strongly committed to attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
View All News
Stay up-to-date on the latest EMpower news, highlights from our grantee partners, upcoming events, and more.