EMpower is Hiring! Senior Programme Officer, East and Southeast Asia
Posted 20 August 2020 in EMpower News, Grantee Partner News, Publications | Share
Senior Programme Officer, East and Southeast Asia
EMpower, a global philanthropic organization, is dedicated to improving the lives and horizons of marginalized young people ages 10-24 in 15 emerging market countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia and Turkey. Through grants and other non-financial support, we partner with over 100 local organizations to build a world where all young people at the margins, especially girls, have the skills, opportunities and power to live their full potential. EMpower has offices in Hong Kong, India (Delhi), Singapore, London and New York. To learn more, check out our website at www.empowerweb.org.
The Senior Program Officer E/SE Asia has primary responsibility for a programs and grants portfolio in Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and China, including Hong Kong. S/he/they will manage and expand this portfolio and also oversee capacity strengthening and partner learning with grantee partners. S/he/they will report to the Vice President, Programs based in London. This position directly supervises the project assistant, E/SE Asia based in Hong Kong.
- Represent EMpower and the E/SE Asia portfolio at annual, regional events
- Work closely with the regional development officer, serve as a key relationship manager to regional stakeholders such as EMpower board members and institutional donors partnerships and/or collaborations
- Proactively manage ongoing regional stakeholder meetings, engagement, relationships.
- Network with other funders and international organizations regarding potential
- Network with other funders and international organizations regarding due diligence and collaborative grant-making opportunities
- Develop country strategies to guide grantmaking decisions
- Pro-actively source and screen potential new grantee partners
- Recommend new grantee partners, conducting due diligence
- Review and negotiate proposals and budgets with prospective and current grantee partners
- Present recommendations to Grants Committee
- Plan and undertake visits to existing and prospective grantee partners; facilitate occasional visits by directors/donors to grantee partner organisations
- Provide programmatic content for proposals and reports to EMpower donors;
- Review analyses of grantees’ final reports; provide feedback to grantees, summaries for board, staff and EMpower communication materials, and cull lessons learned to be shared with others
- Share lessons from EMpower grantees and program experience through webinars, panels, articles, social media etc
- Provide or support capacity building with and for grantee partner organizations; plan and facilitating learning exchanges among grantees; review or develop content for program learning products
- Share lessons from EMpower grantees and program experience through panels, articles, social media etc.
- Professional experience in the philanthropic and /or non-profit sectors in the E/SE Asia region required
- Professional experience in grants management strongly desired
- Experience with youth empowerment, adolescent girls, gender equality, youth programming related to reproductive and sexual health, education, or economic well-being strongly preferred.
- Work experience with community-based organizations strongly desired.
- Strong English speaking and writing abilities. Proficiency in Cantonese, Bahasa, Vietnamese, or Filipino strongly preferred.
- Self-starter; highly organized; proven ability to work independently, anticipate, prioritize, complete multiple projects and meet deadlines, with consistent attention to detail
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to work independently with high degree of judgment and professionalism, as well as virtually with a team across multiple time zones (requiring some evening calls)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with culturally diverse audiences; from at-risk youth to high profile finance professionals. Client-facing stakeholder engagement skills essential
- Ability to negotiate complex situations or relationships with sensitivity and tact
- University degree related to social work/social sciences, international development, gender, anthropology or a related field
- Skilled in PC computers and standard software programs
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; alignment with EMpower values.
- Ability to work/resident of Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, or the Philippines
- Ability to travel in the region, including to Hong Kong (up to 30% annually)
EMpower is a public foundation that makes grants globally to benefit marginalised youth, including adolescent girls. We are committed to attracting, developing, motivating and retaining exceptional talent and to a work environment that recognizes contribution, fosters respect and teamwork, and facilitates strong performance. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, recognizing that diversity enriches all staff and our work globally. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or faith, or physical ability.
By September 25, 2020 interested applicants should send a CV and cover letter expressing their interest and fit for the position to HR@empowerweb.org. We will only be able to acknowledge and respond to candidates identified as most suitable.
View All News